Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Don't Get Too Technical

Being in the line of work that I am, I get the odd favor asked of me every once in a while of "Hey, can you fix my..." I've been brought everything from toasters to TV's. This time it's a computer. I've had my fair share of experience with hardware and software, so it's not real hard. I'm just taking my time with it. Carlos is a friend, but he's pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing, just it's not something he's interested enough in I guess. He's kinda like my wife when it comes to computers, and with her, it's the same for cars too. Basically get in, turn the damn thing on and go. My wife is still trying to understand the concept of vehicle maintenance. She seems to think that when you buy a car, you shouldn't have to spend any money on it to keep it running.

Back to the computer. Some dude looked it over and told him he needed more memory. Or at least that's what he thinks he said. Actually what it needs is a total replacement of the mobo (motherboard). And the CPU. And the video card. And the hard drive. Turns out it's got a 380MHz CPU, 4MB integrated video card and a whopping 4GB hard drive. There's nothing you can do to this thing to make it fast. Except replace the parts with faster stuff. So I did what I could do to minimize the slowness, and I'll be giving it back to him probably this weekend.

That ain't all, oh no. While I was in the middle of giving that monstrosity the once over, my wife's computer decides to go tits-up. Wonderful. Allow me to modify a prior saying:

"If it's got tits, tires, or 'trons (electronics), it's gonna be trouble."

No comments: